Sunday, February 19, 2012

Next Ride

Hello super-neglected bus blog!  I've decided to write in you today.

I'd like to put in a plug for a super new feature that the Phoenix bus system has added.  It's called "Next Ride."  It allows riders to text a number, type in their specific stop number, and find out the next 2-3 times that a bus should be appearing.  I think it's fantastic.  Generally, I take the same bus to and from work each day, so I've memorized all potential bus times.  However, it's great for taking the bus at new stops or for people who rarely ride the bus.

On Thursday, I was presented with the temptation of a Happy Hour.  I resisted many times and knew I had much work to do.  But on the fifth time I was asked, I happened to be in the midst of very unpleasant work, so I decided a Happy Hour would be right up my alley.  I got a ride to the place and knew that I wasn't far from a bus to take me home.  I bragged to my companions about Next Ride.  "This thing is great!" I exclaimed.  "Now I know exactly when the next bus will come!"

I had some time constraints, since I started taking a Thursday evening boxing class.  As long as I left the restaurant around 5:15, I would make it to the class on time.  I wasn't worried, because the bus stop was quite close and I could rely on the Next Ride feature.

When I felt I was running out of time, I sent a message to my good pal Next Ride to find out when I could get a lift home.  Next Ride informed me that the bus would arrive at 5:14.  No worries.  It was only 5:00 and I had plenty of time.  The waiter was a bit slow, so I decided to pay with cash instead of depending on him to leave with my credit card and return in time.  I was short a dollar, but I scrounged around to find one to borrow.  No worries.  It was only 5:10, and the bus stop was quite close.

My company offered me rides here and there.  I refused, since I was out of the way for everyone.  I reminded everyone that I choose to ride the bus because I like it.  I would be just fine getting the bus ride home.  Still, though I tried to hide this from everyone else, I felt I was cutting it close.  As soon as I left my company, I burst into a speedy run, with my red winter coat flapping behind me.  The bus stop was only on the other end of the parking lot and I could see the bus waiting.  This stop happened to be the end of the line, so the bus frequently waited for ten minutes before starting its journey south.  So, I ran my way toward the bus.  Though I felt I had time, I still felt frustrated getting stopped by the cars pulling out of the parking lot.  I knew I would feel safer once on my ride home.  I pulled my phone out as I ran and noticed that it was 5:12.  I was only 100 yards from the bus and knew I would make it with time to spare.

Then the bus started pulling away from the curb.  "It's only 5:12!" I yelled to no one.  Apparently, the bus didn't care that some texting service told me it would be there until 5:14.  It had it's own schedule to follow.  I waved with desperation to the bus as it flew by me.  I watched it stop at the red light only a few hundred yards behind me.  I considered trying to catch it there, but I decided that my attempts would be futile.

I ran back toward the restaurant, with my red jacket wings propelling me forward.  I knew that my offers for rides home were long gone, but I secretly hoped they would be there anyway.  While crossing one of the exits to the parking lot, I spotted one of the members of the group.  "Hello!" I shouted.  "Can you help me catch the bus?"  As it turns out, she was on her way to make another appointment, but she was too kind to turn me away.  So our bus chase began.

This kind woman was new to Phoenix, which added some difficulties to our bus chase.  Typically, I drive the speed limit and have learned to take my time while driving.  My below-the-speed-limit boyfriend has helped increase my patience on car journeys.  Today was an exception.  I glared at her speedometer hoping it would creep up a little higher.  It did not.  I shot directions at her as if we were racing for our lives.  I explained that if she could get me 5 miles south, we might beat the bus.  I sat on the edge of my seat, crossing my fingers that each light would stay green as we trotted down the streets.  Finally, we reached the intersection that I aimed for.  I sent my driver into a parking lot that would get me close to the crosswalk.  I flew open the door, said thank you and rushed off.  Nevermind that I had led this woman into a new area and may have gotten her lost.  I had a bus to catch!

I waited for the time to count down on the crosswalk, wrenching my neck out to watch for any approaching bus.  Finally, I crossed the street and made it to the bus stop.  Now, I simply needed to hope that I made it in time.  So, I waited.  And I waited some more.  I counted the endless stream of cars that passed without a single bus in sight.  The bus strolled in about 7-8 minutes after my arrival.  Success!


Dear Bus People,


Recently, I used your Next Ride feature.  I think this is a great feature, but it may be worth looking at the scheduled times.  The bus driver left stop 1234 at 5:12, two whole minutes before its scheduled departure!  I was quite frustrated by this, but I'm not tattling.  In fact, I got a ride to the bus stop 5 miles south and managed to get there before the bus.  The bus ended up being 5 minutes late for this stop.  It seems that the bus driver MUST leave the first stop early and still might not make it to other stops on time.  This section of the route battles crazy roundabouts and hectic freeway exits.  I suggest you look at the schedule to make sure the times are accurately reflecting route times.


Your loyal rider,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment